I’ve seen Bastard!!! -Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy- and it’s almost more over the top than I expected.

Literally that no anime like this is made nowadays, and if it is made, it rarely gets noticed

Indeed, as more than one will have sensed I never got to see the anime/read the original manga of “Bastard!!!”. In fact, when the franchise was born I hadn’t even done so yet, so you’ll excuse me for that part. However, I was well aware that this anime was not like the stuff that is produced today, especially from a sexual standpoint or uncennsored hentai. And boy has that very thing been confirmed to me. On the other hand, I have to say that my overall experience with the anime has not been negative at all.

Having said that, I just want to comment with you four little things that I found interesting about an anime like “Bastard!!!” that, again, I don’t think are done anymore nowadays:

    • Bastard!!!, an anime that focuses on its protagonist being like Mourinho in the press rooms, in the words of Pep Guardiola: ‘El pu** amo’.
    • Because yes, literally the things that happen in the anime are explained to you by Dark Schneider himself: ‘because I’m handsome, the hero chosen by the gods’. And that guy was a badass villain.
    • But if I had to choose a set of keywords to describe what I’ve seen with Bastard!!! it would clearly be these: fantasy, absurd humor and ecchi galore. ❗

I’m sure the first two points won’t surprise anyone, they’re still pretty recurrent to this day. But the third one crosses the barrier of what we usually see in current anime on a constant basis and also without hardly expecting it.

Scenes in which, out of nowhere, Dark Schneider starts groping a girl without stopping. As if to say good morning.

Watch out with the volume: you know the meme moment when you are watching anime and your parents enter the room at the most inopportune moment? Well, with all the moaning that goes on in here, it’s a real drag.

  • NO, BASTARD! It’s NOT HENTAI videos; it basically plays with ecchi even to the point of mockery. I remember a scene of Dark Schneider extracting venom from a girl and the camera angle positioned to make it look like he was eating her you-know-what. It’s ecchi, but the anime is also trollish as hell. ❗
  • By all this what do I mean: if you hate cheap sexualization of women (which you really should), Bastard is not made for you. To watch this anime you have to go in with the mindset that it doesn’t offend you at all and that it really is almost a relic of anime’s past. ❗

If someone were to ask me the question: should there be more anime like “Bastard!!!”? Surely my answer would be: there is no need. However, I do like the particular existence of “Bastard!!!”, which is why I will watch part 2 when it is released on Netflix. I know my approach is strange as I keep throwing negatives and positives one after the other, but within the boundaries of today that “Bastard!!!” constantly crosses, lies a peculiar yesteryear phenomenon like few others.

In an era without law and order, dominated by demonic force, the kingdom of Meta=Llicarna suffers the onslaught of evil sorcerers. When all seems lost, Yoko, the high priest’s daughter, summons the devil man again, who had been sealed fifteen years before. His name is Dark Schneider and a new battle begins for the legendary devil man!!!

Emergency Aid to Elders, Disabled and Children (EAEDC)

What is EAEDC?

Emergency Aid to Elders, Disabled and Children (EAEDC) is a Massachusetts state-funded program that provides cash and medical assistance to needy families and individuals who are not receiving TAFDC, SSI, or other similar benefits.

Am I eligible?

Elders, the disabled, children, and certain other individuals are eligible for EAEDC if they have very little income and resources and do not qualify for other cash assistance programs. You must be a resident of Massachusetts and a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.

Eligibility Check

The EAEDC Eligibility Check is an easy way for you to find out if you are likely to qualify for EAEDC by answering online questions about your family, your assets, and your income. You will see the results of the eligibility check right away, on your computer screen.

What benefits will I get?

The amount of monthly EAEDC cash benefits you will get depends on your family size, your living situation, and your income. The maximum monthly benefit for an individual paying all living expenses is about $300. You will also get health insurance through MassHealth.

How do I apply?

To apply for EAEDC, you should call or visit your local Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office. See the DTA’s list of DTA Office Locations, or call 1-800-249-2007 for more information. You will need proof of identity, income, assets, and expenses.

How do I use my benefits?

You will receive half of your monthly grant twice a month, either deposited directly into your bank account or paid through an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card. With your EBT card, you can withdraw cash at bank ATMs and supermarkets.

Cash Benefits for Workers

Massachusetts workers who retire, become disabled, lose their jobs through no fault of their own, or cannot work because of job-related injuries may be eligible for cash benefits based on employment. Cash benefits for workers are not need-based, but may depend on employment status, how long you have worked, and how much you have earned.

Social Security Retirement
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Unemployment Insurance
Workers’ Compensation

NOTE: Glossary words are highlighted. Click on any glossary word to see its definition.
Social Security Retirement
(See Social Security Retirement Program for complete program information.)

The Social Security Retirement Program is a federal insurance program that provides retirement cash benefits for eligible workers and their families based on retirement age and the worker’s lifetime Social Security earnings. The federal government collects FICA taxes on earnings to pay for the program. It is not a need-based program.

You are eligible for Social Security retirement benefits if you are an employee or a self-employed worker, age 62 or over, who has earned the required Social Security credits during your working years. To get Social Security retirement benefits based on your own work record, you need to earn at least 40 Social Security credits. Most people earn 4 credits per year, and have earned enough credits after 10 years of work. Family members may also qualify for benefits based on your work record.

If you are eligible for Social Security retirement benefits based on your own work record, you will get a monthly Social Security check for the rest of your life, and Medicare coverage starting at age 65. Your benefit amount is based on your average earnings during your working years and your age at retirement.

For instructions on how to apply for Social Security retirement, and for more information about eligibility and benefits, see Social Security Retirement Program in the Senior Resources section.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
(See Social Security Disability Insurance for complete program information.)

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a federal insurance program that gives monthly cash benefits to eligible workers who become totally disabled and cannot work for a year or more. To be eligible for SSDI, you must have earned enough Social Security work credits and worked recently enough to be insured. Family members may also qualify for benefits based on your work record.

SSDI is funded by FICA payroll taxes collected from workers and employers. It is not a need-based program.

SSDI provides cash benefits that continue as long as you remain totally disabled and cannot work. The SSDI benefit amount depends on how much you paid in Social Security taxes during your lifetime. You also qualify for Medicare 24 months after you start getting SSDI.

For instructions on how to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance, and for more information about eligibility and benefits, see Social Security Disability Insurance in the Disability Resources section.

Unemployment Insurance
(See Unemployment Insurance for complete program information.)

Unemployment insurance is a government program that gives temporary cash payments to workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. The Division of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is in charge of this program in Massachusetts. Unemployment Insurance is not a need-based program.

Most Massachusetts workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own are covered by unemployment insurance. To get benefits, you must be looking for a job or taking part in an approved job training program.

You can get cash payments for a maximum of 30 weeks unless a federal extension is in effect. The amount you get depends on how much you were earning before you lost your job. In general, you will get about half of your average pay, up to the benefit limit. If you have children and you are their main support, you will also get a dependency allowance.

For instructions on how to apply for Unemployment Insurance, and for more information about eligibility and benefits, see Unemployment Insurance in the Employment and Job Training section.

Workers’ Compensation
(See Workers’ Compensation for complete program information.)

Workers’ Compensation (WC) is an insurance system that gives benefits to workers who are injured on the job or get a work-related illness. The Division of Industrial Accidents (DIA) is in charge of this program in Massachusetts. Workers’ Compensation is not a need-based program.

All employers in Massachusetts are required by law to have workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. Employees who have work-related injuries or illness are eligible for benefits. Coverage starts the first day on the job. Undocumented workers are eligible.

Workers’ compensation gives medical benefits, cash benefits, and vocational rehabilitation benefits. All of your medical costs will be paid by the insurance company. You can get a weekly cash payment up to 60% of your average weekly wage for temporary disability. You can get lifetime benefits if you are permanently and totally disabled.

For instructions on how to file a claim for Workers’ Compensation, and for more information about eligibility and benefits, see Workers’ Compensation in the Employment and Job Training section.


What is Medicare?

Medicare is a national health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain people under 65 with disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease (permanent kidney failure). Medicare is basic protection, and does not cover all medical expenses or most long-term care. Medicare includes Part A Hospital Insurance, Part B Medical Insurance, Part C Medicare Advantage plans, and Part D Prescription Drug coverage.

Am I eligible?

Most people age 65 or older are eligible for Medicare. You may also be eligible if you or your spouse worked in Medicare-covered employment and you are under 65 and disabled, or you have end-stage renal disease (permanent kidney failure). Your income and assets do not affect your eligibility. For more information, call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY: 1-877-486-2048).

What benefits will I get?

Medicare is a basic health insurance program that pays only a portion of your health care costs. Part A Hospital Insurance includes inpatient hospital care, skilled nursing care, and home health care. Part B Medical Insurance includes doctors’ fees, medical tests, and outpatient care. Most people who are eligible for Medicare get Part A for free, and pay a monthly premium for Part B. You must also pay deductibles and coinsurance. People with Part A and B can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. People with Part A or B can enroll in a Prescription Drug Plan.

How do I apply?

People getting Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits will automatically be enrolled in Medicare at age 65. People getting Social Security disability payments will automatically be enrolled after 24 months of disability (with some exceptions). Other people who are eligible for Medicare must apply by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778).

How do I use my benefits?

Once you have been approved, Medicare will send you an enrollment package and your Medicare card. You must then decide if you want to keep Part B Medical Insurance, if you want to buy Medigap supplemental insurance, which Medicare health plan you want to use, and whether you want to enroll in a Prescription Drug Plan. You must show your Medicare card whenever you go for health services. If you are denied benefits or if Medicare pays less than you think they should, you may appeal. You will get a separate drug benefit card if you join a Medicare drug plan.

Medicare Health Plans

You must decide how you want to get your Medicare benefits. You may choose the Original Medicare Plan, which is a federal fee-for-service plan available nationwide, or you may join a Medicare Advantage plan offered by private companies under contract with Medicare. If you keep the Original Medicare Plan, you may buy supplemental Medigap insurance to cover some of the “gaps” in your Medicare benefits. If you choose a Medicare Advantage plan, you will usually have to pay an extra monthly fee, but will also get extra benefits. Your health plan choices will vary depending on where you live.

Medicare Prescription Drug Plans

Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, also called Medicare Part D, cover some of the costs of prescription drugs. All people with Medicare can get Medicare drug coverage if they choose. Prescription Drug Plans are offered by private insurers approved by Medicare. Different drug plans have different costs and benefits. Plan members must pay monthly premiums, an annual deductible, coinsurance/copayments, and coverage gap costs. Medicare recipients with limited incomes and resources can get help to pay their drug plan costs.

School Meals and Summer Food Program

What are School Meals and the Summer Food Program?

School Meals are free and reduced price meals and milk given to children from low-income families who are enrolled in Massachusetts schools. School Meals include School Breakfast, School Lunch, the Special Milk Program, and After-school Snacks. During summer vacation, the Summer Food Service Program provides free food for children and teens at parks, schools, community centers, and other approved locations.

Am I eligible?

Your child is eligible for free or reduced price school meals if your household meets the income limits. If you get food stamps or TAFDC for your child, the school meals are free. Your immigration status does not matter for this program. For the Summer Food Program, all children 18 and under are eligible for free summer meals.

How do I apply?

At the beginning of the school year, your child’s school will send home an application for free and reduced price School Meals. You should complete the application and return it to your child’s school. If you have questions or need an application, you should call your local public school department. For contact information, see the Massachusetts Department of Education’s School Profiles. The phone number of your local school department is also listed in the phone book.

For summer meals, children can just show up at a Summer Food Program site. There is no application or registration for the summer meals program. To find a site near you, see Summer Meal Sites on the Meals4Kids web site, or call the Food Source Hotline at 1-800-645-8333.

DTA Child Care Services

What is DTA child care?

DTA child care is free or low-cost child care for current and former TAFDC families. Eligible families get first priority for vouchers and slots and do not have to put their names on a waiting list. DTA child care is for families who need child care so they can work, find a job, or attend an approved education or job training program.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible, you must be receiving TAFDC now or have received TAFDC within the past year. You must also meet an activity requirement by working, looking for work, attending school, or taking part in a training program. Families with disabilities or on maternity leave are also eligible.

What benefits will I get?

Current TAFDC recipients who qualify get free child care right away. Former TAFDC recipients get child care right away, but may have to pay a fee based on income and family size. The number of hours of child care you get depends on your need for services. You may choose the type of child care that is best for your child.

How do I apply?

You must apply at your local Department of Transitional Assistance office. You should talk to your TAFDC case worker. See the DTA’s list of DTA Office Locations, or call 1-800-249-2007 for more information.

How do I use my benefits?

Once DTA approves you for child care, you must bring your DTA authorization to your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agency. A counselor will explain the types of child care available and help you find a child care provider for your child. For the name and address of your local agency, see Massachusetts Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies on the EEC web site, or call the EEC at 617-988-6600.